Mas’ il khar
I know I should have a multitude of things to say, but I truly don’t. Given, I did sleep in for the first time since being here, though, maybe 2pm was more of sleeping the day away. However, I finally feel rested and I’m ready for the week. I finished my online course readings and postings, and soon I’ll be diving into Arabic.
It is different here, of course, but not that different. I feel comfortable and, a bit safer, than I do at home (minus Russellville). I’m just ready to be relieved from my bubble and to actually make friends that are not Western. It is difficult with so many MCCers around, but it would be twice as difficult without them to learn my way to and fro. Seriously, I’m beyond thankful for them.
I’m hopeful that this week, I’ll get to walk around town and try and speak Arabic to those I run into. It is very easy to stay within my flat and around others that speak English, but that is the opposite of what I want and need to do. Seeing Egypt through a non-Western lens …
My weekly schedule consists of Arabic classes during the day for four hours, five days a week. At night either I’m studying for my Eastern grad class (last one! Inshallah!) Or going out for dinner. I would like to stress to those the unbelievable fact that I am cooking! Yes, I know this may come off as a bit of surprise, but I am truly using a gas stove and cutting up vegetables and fruit, making rice…and get ready for it, doing the dishes by hand! And, this may put you all over the edge; using the washer and hanging dry my clothes.
This week is going to prove really busy though it will begin with an amazing visit. We are all going to the Khan to watch the Sufi dancers! I can’t describe how excited I am, minus when I found out, I started dancing throughout the flat until I realized my windows were open. I’m sure I made a spectacle for my neighbors.
This weekend, we have a couple of dinners and a Coptic Orthodox service in English. So, let’s all cross our fingers that I finish my paper and proposal for Stan’s class before Thursday. This week may prove to sleepless, or many early morning risings!
Oh and to help you get in on what my week is, it begins on Sunday (il Hadd) and ends on Thursday (il khamees) and my weekend is on Friday (il gumAa) and Saturday (il sapt). I figure I can teach you all Arabic too…
I do have one last thing, thank you for the birthday wishes! I celebrated my 27th along the Nile and with two special dinners!
Flat and Cairo pictures soon (unfortunately I've yet to take any...though Monday is a for sure!)
Ma’ Salaam,
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment