Monday, December 7, 2009

Colds, a 10lb Turkey, and Hope

Cold Season has settled upon Cairo and I’m the current victim of a stuffy nose, sneezing, and chapped lips. However, I’m not alone others have fell victim but are the upside swing of the endless need for Kleenexes.

Besides the cold, many great things have come about. First and foremost, I’m finished with graduate school, inshallah, if I pass my final two classes. I can’t describe the massive relief this has had on my mental state, less stress, more free time and freedom to read what I choose! I believe I have another Madeline L’Engle book awaiting my hands! Oh and I have one in the mail that will make my holiday season. No, it isn’t about cakes and trees, but writing and birds! Once again, the lovely Anne Lamont will grace my life with her words.

A brief recap:

Thanksgiving was had, actually two (pictures below).

I’m looking forward to Christmas. Amanda, you did read that right. I’m trying to no longer be the scrooge that wants to rip apart ever Christmas tree I see or break every CD that contains horrible, I mean…lovely Christmas songs. In fact, I’m even attending caroling this week at a beautiful Catholic church, one that is in the shape of a jello mold.

I made a trip to Port Said, by the Suez Canal: made new friends and learned more Arabic.

The coming days hold:

Arranging times for Arabic lessons, my focus is learning this beautiful and difficult language!

Exploring 3 gyms (two women only ones…I admit that regarding gyms and sweat, I think this is a hygienic masterpiece of an idea) and hopefully claiming membership at one of them.

Writing and Creating Christmas letters/cards for homes in the U.S. and elsewhere.
A lunch with an old/new friend in her fiancé’s New Mexican Restaurant… yes, Mexican food! Real Mexican food!! I can barely contain my salvia!

Looking forward to two Christmases!

A wedding in January, (not mine) !

I’m also planning a trip to Kosova and Bosnia, maybe Macedonia in late March. Hiking, Friends, Mountains, and green surrounding me!! I’m beyond thrilled for this adventure.

Finally, I want to say thank you for everyone that has been lifting me up in their thoughts and prayers. Without you all, my family, I would have been lost. I hope you know you are all welcome to visit Egypt, actually, please come! And you are invited on my trips that I hope to make over the coming years to various countries.

Also, thank you for the letters and packages, there is nothing like receiving snail mail here! I check my box everyday!

To be honest, I do still have sad/bad moments, but they are fewer and fewer. So, I’m actually happy most of the time here. I still become frustrated, but I find joy and hope in what I see around me.

I miss and love you all!

Here are a few pictures from Thanksgiving, including my glorious green bean casserole made from scratch! By me!! Seriously!



Newbies here.


There it is...my first homemade dish.



The glorious spread of food.



Making turkeys with laughter.

"The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. "
Madeline L'Engle

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I'm sick also, blah! I was lucky to get sick just after all grad school work was due and my dance performances this past weekend. But being sick does suck and I'm right there with ya. Mexican food?! Yummy! That is my favorite, I hope you enjoy it more than once! Love - Danielle

    ReplyDelete