I have never been known to bring good tidings and cheer during the months of December and January. My family, rather, seems to bring presents of dysfunction and inappropriate outbursts. This year, I was attempting to change my ways.
First, I tried to download a Christmas album. Initially, I thought it was successful, but it turns out only partial songs were downloaded into a slush of music that nearly drove me to my balcony to inhale the fumes from the cat’s litter box. (Now, I instead am listening to the Across the Universe Soundtrack).
Second, I went with a group of MCCers to see the 3D version of the Christmas Carol. Again, this started of wonderful with fun glasses and an amazing trailer for the upcoming Alice and Wonderland film by Tim Burton. Then the movie began and so did the multiple personalities of Jim Carey in the spirits and scrooge. Seriously, this is a kid movie? I jumped 4 times, the horses with red eyes gave me nightmares, and the Christmas spirit had a horribly full chest of hair. The only redeeming quality was the animated Colin Firth, oh Mr. Darcy you never seem to disappoint even in animated 3D. Oh and I can’t forget that I missed random 3D effects due to my lazy eye…my eyes were burning by the end.
Thirdly, I have made a pact with myself to renew the one family tradition of attending Midnight Mass, even though no one in my family is either Catholic or Episcopalian. Turns out you can attend Midnight Mass here, even fairly close to where I live, but one problem: It’s in French?! Yes, not Arabic, or English, but French. I did manage to find a church about a 1 hour and a half commute that has one in English. Drum Roll please, the metro closes at Midnight here: leaving me without a mode of transportation to travel.
Needless to say, this isn’t going very well. I miss seeing Russellville lit up; this is the first time in 27 years to not see the courthouse and ugly tree lit. And I do miss grandma dearly and my friends and family celebrating in the U.S. and Nepal.
Maybe, Christmas isn’t my holiday, kinda like a zodiac sign. I still have New Years, Easter, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Bastille Day. Given at the moment, my New Years, at least regarding my resolution of joining a gym to make friends and cleanse my body, has faltered since it is beyond expensive; think over 100 USD a month.
In all honesty, I’m thankful for this time, for God’s crazy and sacrificial idea to become human and to bring us the hope and joy we have in Jesus. And I’m thankful for the movie/book, Little Women.
Peace,
The Ultimate Jolly Scrooge
I love you, Jolly Scrooge or not!!
ReplyDelete