Monday, July 27, 2009

Dilemmas, Goodbyes, and Mango Sorbet

This morning I woke up fully prepared to sell my car to the lovely family when I had an “ah ha” moment. The bill of sale is an entirely different document than a car title! Frantically searching through the glove box, a call to my granny, and one to my father ended with a nervous and anxious call to the prospective buyers. The call ended up in a voice message confession of my misplaced title. Thankfully, Ali, Mikki, and Jessica calmed me down before I confessed. The nice woman called me back and get this, she is willing to wait for me to fly to Arkansas, request a new title (rushed, of course), and then FedEx it to Ali and the sale can still happen! Beyond thrilled and relieved to still be selling my car in the next week and a half.

I booked my flight after the phone call and rented a car: Therefore I’ll be in Little Rock, Arkansas come Tuesday at 10:30am. I’m ready to see everyone and hug on folks, but it has been a difficult time of realization and random crying spells in standstill traffic in Philly today. More goodbyes with the assurance that only more are to come once I step off the plane on Tuesday. Don’t forget there will be more when I leave September 2nd for Cairo. Once again, I’m ready or I think I am.

This week/weekend has been amazing. A quick recap: an official “Jessica’s girl night” and then a 3 hour drive with a verbatim sing-along with Elise to Bohemian Rhapsody to the beach. The beach day ended with a gathering of Aloe Vera girls mesmerized by Mr. Darcy and Cape Cod.

Today, minus the frenzy of the title scandal: a mango sorbet and mint chocolate chip goodbye to Mikki with a hope of a future visit. Humorous conversations of who started what in what tongue between Mikki and Katie splashed with Mamma T’s quotes and random references to Calcutta, Nepal, India, and Washington D.C. Jessica, the glasses friend, teary eyes due to the sand remnants of yesterday, what a gorgeous day.

I’m not ready to say goodbye to dear Jessica: running and great words and Tour de France!

Tonight: Ali, sushi and soy wraps, and her new home: finishing off the evening with conversations of family and grandmother stories.

The days are packed with to do lists, but I refuse to not be here and see the community I’m physically leaving and the beauty of Philadelphia and my other home, Arkansas.

Creek trips and Taco Johns soon.

One final dilemma, how much it will cost to ship my grandfather’s old nave trunk home, full of books and pictures?

For Mikki:

“Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.” Mother Teresa

1 comment:

  1. Glad it all worked out with your car. I'll miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete